15 replies to this topic

#1 CupidsArrow

CupidsArrow

Smoke

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
Does anyone know anything about this agency/publisher?!
http://wlwritersagency.com/main/
That is the website. I've done some research (okay, a lot of research) and I've found some different points of views from a lot of people. Some say go for it, some say ban in from your memory. ^.^
I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Any help would be wonderful!

Xxx

~What though the radiance which was once so bright

Be not forever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
Grief not, rather find,
Strength in what remains behind,
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be,
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of Human suffering,
In the faith that looks through death
In years that bring philophic mind.~

Blessed Be <3

#2 Laurentius

Laurentius

Flare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

I couldn't be more clear about this: forget about it.

You can see here that it's a scam.

Edited by Laurentius, 28 September 2012 - 11:24 PM.

You can fly anywhere you wish in your philosophy, Horatio.

#3 Raveneye

Raveneye

Legend

• .A.Administrator
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Always check Preditors and Editors, and Writer Beware! first. They do a great job keeping up with scams and shoddy agencies. Thanks for the link, Laurentius.

This came straight off Writer Beware's alert page:

SBPRA (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Agency) / Best Selling Books Rights Agency / Best Quality Editing Services / Publish on Demand Global / Robert M. Fletcher

Since SBPRA began operating as a fee-charging literary agency in 2001 (under a different name), Writer Beware has received hundreds of complaints and advisories of fees for literary agency services, fees for publishing, and paid critique and editing referrals. Other questionable practices include selling marketing services to authors, charging authors to attend book fairs, and referring clients to other branches of the business without revealing the connection.

We’re not aware that the literary agency branch of the business has a significant track record of commercial book or script sales under any of its names…and it has had a lot of names. A history:

In 2001, Robert M. Fletcher of Boca Raton, Florida began operating a fee-charging literary agency under the name Sydra-Techniques. Around 2003, the name was changed to ST Literary Agency, and then, briefly, to Stylus Agency. An editing service was added, called My Editor Is A Saint.

Around 2005, the business became The Literary Agency Group, and the editing service was also renamed, becoming Writers’ Literary and Publishing Services Company. This latest name change coincided with an expansion of the company’s fee-charging agency activities, with several satellite agencies set up under the following names:

• Children’s Literary Agency
  • Christian Literary Agency
  • New York Literary Agency
  • Poet’s Literary Agency
  • The Screenplay Agency
In early 2007, the business re-christened itself once more, to Writers’ Literary Agency and Marketing Company (a.k.a. WLA or WL Writers’ Agency). Even more satellite agencies were added:
  • Writers’ Book Publishing Agency
  • WL Children’s Agency
  • Children’s Book Publishing Agency
  • WL Poet’s Agency
  • Poetry Book Publishing Agency
  • WL Screenplay Agency
  • Screenplay Writers’ Agency
  • Global Book Agency
2008 rang in yet another name change: to AEG Publishing Group. At the same time, the business expanded into vanity publishing, with two new “imprints” and a pay-to-play marketing service:
  • Strategic Book Publishing
  • Eloquent Books
  • Strategic Book Club, a.k.a. Authors’ Edge
  • Strategic Book Marketing
In 2009 the business finally abandoned its long-standing pretense that the agencies, editing service, and publishers were unaffiliated, consolidating all operations as Strategic Book Group, while continuing to use the other names more or less interchangeably.

Fast forward to 2011, and yet another name change. The business was re-titled Strategic Book Publishing & Rights Agency, a.k.a. SBPRA. It also added an “international” arm called Publish On Demand Global, and its editing service got a new moniker as well: it’s now called Best Quality Editing Services. On web searches, most of the former names/websites now default to the current ones, though some of the old names still appear to be in use.

Other names currently associated with SBPRA:
  • Best Selling Books Rights Agency
  • Professional Publishing Press
  • ePubCo
  • Rapid Illustrations
  • Publish On Demand Australia
  • Publish on Demand India
  • Publish on Demand Korea
  • Publish On Demand Taiwan
  • Publish on Demand UAE
  • Publish on Demand UK and Europe
  • Authors and Libraries Program
  • AuthorMarketingIdeas.com
  • AuthorSuccessStories.com
In February 2008, Robert Fletcher and The Literary Agency Group filed a retaliatory lawsuit against Writer Beware, alleging defamation, loss of business, and emotional distress. On March 18, 2009, the suit was dismissed with prejudice by the Massachusetts Superior Court, due to Fletcher’s failure to respond to discovery or otherwise prosecute the lawsuit (see SFWA’s official press release).

On July 31, 2009, the Court granted Writer Beware’s motion to recover legal fees and expenses incurred in defending the suit, ruling Fletcher/TLAG’s claims insubstantial, frivolous, and not advanced in good faith (the ruling can be seen here. Also see SFWA’s official press release).

In September 2009, as a result of a public consumer-related investigation, the Florida Attorney General filed suit against Robert Fletcher, Writers’ Literary Agency and associated businesses, and several staff members, for deceptive business practices. The suit is currently working its way through the courts. More at Writer Beware’s blog.

See how many of those listed names here are frighteningly similar to the "network" agencies' names on the SBPRA About page? Add all those to your do-not-trust list, Cupid. They're all the same scammers.

#4 Dreaming of the Mists

Dreaming of the Mists

Allusions and Dreams

• .L.Forum Leader
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Can I move this to the Publishing Resource thread?

Writing Resources: http://sites.google....sanddreams/home

Musings Writing Prompts will be available between October 8 and October 13 for free download on Amazon.com.

Poetry_Dream.pngdisc-poet3-2.pngLeFi_Comp.pnglinker.gifchar.png

hp-10000.pnga8ne.png

#5 Laurentius

Laurentius

Flare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

Can I move this to the Publishing Resource thread?

Definitely, you should. I think. :)

#6 Raveneye

Raveneye

Legend

• .A.Administrator
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Yes, please.

#7 CupidsArrow

CupidsArrow

Smoke

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Ohhh, dear. OH MAN OH MAN!
KILL ME NOW! This is not good! I've signed the contracts, but I havent paid yet. Is that semi good?
http://cannon.aegaut...lls-sbpra-info/
This woman says only good things about the publisher! Help me !! Again please!

Grief not, rather find,
In the primal sympathy
Out of Human suffering,

Blessed Be <3

#8 CupidsArrow

CupidsArrow

Smoke

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

I've taken your advice into consideration.
Please recommend me to any publishers you think are right.

Grief not, rather find,
In the primal sympathy
Out of Human suffering,

Blessed Be <3

#9 The_Wolf

The_Wolf

We Lead, Others Follow

• .L.Forum Leader
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Ohhh, dear. OH MAN OH MAN!
KILL ME NOW! This is not good! I've signed the contracts, but I havent paid yet. Is that semi good?
http://cannon.aegaut...lls-sbpra-info/
This woman says only good things about the publisher! Help me !! Again please!

I definitely think that is semi-good Cupid; I hope you can find another, more reputable publisher :)

hp-1000.pngz0k2.pnglph5.jpgLeFi.png

query2012.pngquery.pngparanorm.pnglinker.gif

#10 Raveneye

Raveneye

Legend

• .A.Administrator
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Wait a minute, Cupid. Had you already signed the contract before you asked us this question? Or did you sign after you asked but before you checked back to see if anyone had answered?

If you've signed the contract, does that mean you have to pay??? Get a lawyer to look over the fine print if you're not sure, and do NOT use a lawyer this agency suggests. Never, never, never go with an agency or publisher that makes you pay them anything, Cupid. They should only earn money if you earn money. That is what entices agents to push your book! If you pay them up front, they've earned their cash and why should they push your book then?

Learn the in's and out's of that contract, my friend, and see if you can get out of it. Please, for your own safety.

#11 CupidsArrow

CupidsArrow

Smoke

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Wait a minute, Cupid. Had you already signed the contract before you asked us this question? Or did you sign after you asked but before you checked back to see if anyone had answered?

If you've signed the contract, does that mean you have to pay??? Get a lawyer to look over the fine print if you're not sure, and do NOT use a lawyer this agency suggests. Never, never, never go with an agency or publisher that makes you pay them anything, Cupid. They should only earn money if you earn money. That is what entices agents to push your book! If you pay them up front, they've earned their cash and why should they push your book then?

Learn the in's and out's of that contract, my friend, and see if you can get out of it. Please, for your own safety.

Thank you Raveneye. I signed the contract after I asked this question. I didn't check back into the topic (my mistake) until a few days ago which was very silly. And I also found it strange that I had to pay for their services. But, I took a very long time to read over the contract and it states that I can cancel at any time. I have not paid them anything yet or given them any legal information. Thank you for the very sound advice. I am going to contact my lawyer friend and ask him to help me. Thank you all for caring so much! I'm very naive in such matters. Everything seems just a little too easy! and sometimes it felt wrong. Bless you guys!

Grief not, rather find,
In the primal sympathy
Out of Human suffering,

Blessed Be <3

#12 Kilgore

Kilgore

Spark

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thank you Raveneye. I signed the contract after I asked this question. I didn't check back into the topic (my mistake) until a few days ago which was very silly. And I also found it strange that I had to pay for their services. But, I took a very long time to read over the contract and it states that I can cancel at any time. I have not paid them anything yet or given them any legal information. Thank you for the very sound advice. I am going to contact my lawyer friend and ask him to help me. Thank you all for caring so much! I'm very naive in such matters. Everything seems just a little too easy! and sometimes it felt wrong. Bless you guys!

In the future, anytime a Publisher or an Agent asks you for FEES, you run away, as fast as you can.

No reputable publisher will make writers pay to get published.

"Character is that sum total of moments we can't explain." - George Saunders

Stories:

Fool Me Once

The Sommelier

Projects:

Living in 8 Bits

The Degenerate

#13 CupidsArrow

CupidsArrow

Smoke

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

I learned my lesson... thank you all

Grief not, rather find,
In the primal sympathy
Out of Human suffering,

Blessed Be <3

#14 Laurentius

Laurentius

Flare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

I learned my lesson... thank you all

We all know the feeling. We're all eager to see our work published.

But I would rather spread my work for free than pay those sharks for it, you know. :)

#15 Raveneye

Raveneye

Legend

• .A.Administrator
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

Amen to that! :cheers:

#16 Raveneye

Raveneye

Legend

• .A.Administrator
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Whoa! That's a useful update. Thank you!

Copyright © 2014 LegendFire